Credits: Flickr Creative Common/Ethan
ACCORDING to Statistics Canada, the unemployment rate in Canada for January 2017 stood at 6.8%. Although this represents a decrease of 0.1% from December 2016, the statistical records for a province like Alberta represent an increasing level of the unemployment rate. In Alberta, the unemployment rate rose to 8.8% in January 2017 from 8.5% in December 2016.
THIS SUGGESTS there are fewer jobs out there for job applicants. Thus, to land a job in this current economy climate, applicants needs to be armed with the tips to leave an impressive mark during an interview.
BASED on its review of thousands of interview questions provided by candidates on its website in the past, the global career giant Glassdoor recently compiled a list of 20 hardest interview questions asked in the UK.
TO GUIDE you in preparing for your job interviews, we have restated the list of the interview questions and the company that asked them:
- “What on your CV is the closest thing to a lie?” - Marketing and Communications Employee, The Phoenix Partnership.
- “What am I thinking right now?” - Regional Director, TES Global.
- “How would your enemy describe you?” - Advertising Sales Grad Scheme, Condé Nast.
- “If you had a friend who was great for a job and an identical person who was just as good, but your friend earned you £2,000 less, who would you give the job to?” - Associate Recruitment Consultant, Hays plc.
- “What's the most selfish thing you've ever done?” - Graduate Consultant, PageGroup
- “You are stranded on the moon with a group of other astronauts and you need to travel 200 miles back to base, here is a list of 15 items salvaged from the wreckage of the spacecraft you were travelling in. List them in order of importance.” - Sales Employee, Turnstone Sales
- “If your best friend was here what advice would he give you?” - CCP, American Express
- “Describe your biggest weakness. Then describe another.” - Forward Deployed Software Engineer, Palantir Technologies
- “How do you cope with repetition?” - Product Specialist, Tesla Motors
- “How would you describe cloud computing to a 7 year old?” - Graduate Scheme, Microsoft
- “There are three people, each with different salaries, and they want to find the average of them without telling any of the other two their salary. How do they do it?” - Technical Delivery Graduate, BAE Systems Applied Intelligence
- “Who is your hero, and why?” - Product Quality Employee, GE
- “What’s your the biggest regret managing people so far?” - Area Director, Regus
- “What would you ask the CEO if you met him one day?” - Performance Analyst, British Airways
- “You have 50 red and 50 blue objects. Split these however you like between two containers to give the minimum/maximum probability of drawing one of the colours” - Operations Analyst, Clearwater Analytics
- “What does social justice mean to you?” - Content Marketing Manager, ThoughtWorks
- “What is your coping mechanism when you have a bad day?” - Consultant, Switch Consulting
- “Are you a nice guy?” - Product Manager, Badoo
- “Provide an estimate for the number of goals in the premier league.” - Management Accountant, VAX
- “Tell me about your childhood.” - Learning and Development Employee, Next
ALTHOUGH these are general interview questions, they could be asked in an interview for legal positions in law firms as well as in legal departments of companies, crown corporations, and government agencies.